Section I. Chemical Product and Company Identification
Hummel Croton Inc.
- 10 Harmich Road
- South Plainfield, NJ 07080
Chemical Name:  Potassium Chlorate
Synonym:  Potash Chlorate
CAS Number:  3811-04-9
Chemical Formula:  KClO3
Section II. Composition and Information on Ingredients
Since no Exposure limits have been established for Potassium Chlorate by
OSHA & ACGIH, we recommend that our product should be treated as a nuisance dust 15
Section III Hazards Identification:
- First Aid For Eye:  In case of contact, immediately
flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Call a physician.
- First Aid For Skin:  In case of contact, flush skin with water.
Wash clothing before reuse. Call a physician if irritation occurs.
- First Aid For Inhalation:  If inhaled, remove to fresh air.
If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Call a physician.
- First Aid For Ingestion:  If swallowed, call a physician immediately.
Section V. Fire and Explosion Data
- Flammability:  Non-Flamable
- Flash Points:  Not Applicable
- Auto-Ignition:  Not Applicable
- Flammable Limits:  Not Applicable
- Extinguishing Media:  Water
- Fire Fighting Procedure:  Dike fire control water for later disposal. Do not scatter the material. If fire is advanced or containers are fully involved in fire, evacuate and let burn. Cool containers that are exposed to flames with water from the side until well after the fire is out.
- Fire/Explosion Hazards:  Not Flammable. Oxidizer. May cause fire on contact with combustible materials. Poisonous gases are produced in case of fire. Material cannot burn but can accelerate the burning of other materials. Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk. Cool containers that are exposed to flame with water.
Section VI. Accidental Release Measures
- Spill Or Leak Procedures: Utilize recommended
protective clothing and equipment. Clean spills in a manner that does not disperse
dust into the air. Spill area can be washed with water. Collect wash water for
approved disposal. Keep from entering water or ground water
Section VII. Handling and Storage
- Storage Temperatures:  Store at ambient temperature
- Shelf Life: Unlimited in tightly closed container.
- Special Sensitivity:  None
- Handling/Storage Precautions: Avoid breathing dust.
Avoid getting in eyes or on skin. Wash thoroughly after handling. Store in a dry place away
from direct sunlight, heat and incompatible materials (see Section X). Reseal containers immediately
after use. Store away from food and beverages.
Section VIII. Exposure Controls/Personal Protection
- Eye Protection: Safety glasses or goggles.
- Skin Protection: PVC gloves with impervious boots,
apron or coveralls. Employees should wash their hands and face before eating, drinking
or using tobacco products.
- Respirator: Work ambient concentrations should be
monitored and if the recommended exposure limit is exceeded, a NIOSH/MSHA approved dust
respirator must be worn.
- Ventilation: Use local ventilation if dusting is a
problem, to maintain air levels below the recommended exposure limit.
- Additional Protective Measures: Emergency showers
and eye wash stations should be available. Educate and train employees in the safe use
and handling of hazardous chemicals.
Section IX. Physical and Chemical Properties
- Physical Form:  Solid Fine Crystals
- Color:  White
- Odor:  Odorless
- Molecular Weight:  122.55
- Boiling Point:  Not Established
- Melting/Freezing Point:  680°C
- Solubility In Water:  7.4g/100ml @20°C
- Specific Gravity:  2.34
Section X. Stability And Reactivity
- Stability:  Stable
- Hazardous Polymerization: Will Not occur
- Incompatibilities:  Forms explosive mixtures with organic materials, reducing agent & finely divided metal powders.
- Instable Conditions:  Excessive temperatures (see Incompatibilities).
- Decomposition Temperature:  Decomposes ~400 °C
- Decomposition products:  Potassium Chloride, Oxygen, Chlorine, Potassium Oxide
Section XI. Toxicological Infomation
- RTECS Number:  FO0350000
- Routes of Exposure: Eye contact. Ingestion. Inhalation.
- Toxicity Data:  Orl-Rat LDLo: 7000 mg/kg Ipr-Rat LDLo: 1500 mg/kg
- Chronic Toxic Effects:  This product has no known chronic effects. Repeated or prolong exposure to this compound is not known to aggravate medical conditions.
- Acute Toxic Effects:  Irritating to the skin and eyes on contact. Inhalation will cause irritation to the lungs and mucus membrane. Irritation to the eyes will cause watering and redness. Reddening, scaling, and itching are characteristics of skin inflammation. Follow safe industrial hygiene practices and always wear protective equipment when handling this compound.
Section XII. Ecological Information
- Ecotoxicity: Not available at this time.
Section XIII. Disposal Considerations
- Waste Disposal Method: Waste disposal should be in
accordance with existing federal, state and local environmental regulations.
Section XIV. Transportation Information
- Proper Shipping Name:  Potassium Chlorate
- UN Number:  1485
- Class:  5.1
- P.G.:  II
- Label Code:  5.1
Section XV. Regulatory Information
- OSHA Status: This product is hazardous under the criteria of
the Federal OSHA Hazard Communication Standard 29 CFR 1910.1200.
- TSCA Chemical Inventory: This compound is on the EPA Toxic
Substance Control Act (TSCA) inventory List
- California Proposition 65: To the best of our knowledge,
this product contains no levels of listed substances, which the state of California has
found to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive effects.
- SARA 313 Title III:
Section 302 ExtremelyHazardous Substances: None
- Section 311/312 Hazardous Categories: None
- Section 313 Toxic Chemicals: None
Section XVI. Other Information
- Prepared By: Mark Dugan
- Date: April 24, 2007
- Reason For Issue: Updated Format
No warranty, expressed or implied, or merchantability, fitness for a particular
purpose or otherwise is made, except that the products herein discussed comply
with the chemical description on the labels. Buyer assumes risks of the use,
storage and handling. Hummel shall not be liable for any incidental or
consequential damages arising directly or indirectly in connection with the
purchase, use, storage or handling of this product. The information contained
herein is, to the best of our knowledge, true and accurate. However, all
recommendations or suggestions are made without guarantee, since the conditions
of use are beyond our control. We disclaim any liability incurred in connection
with the use of these data or suggestions. This information is not to be taken as
a license to operate under, or a recommendation to infringe any patent(s). The
observance of all regulations and patents is the responsibility of the user. No
agent, representative or employee of this company is authorized to vary any terms
of this notice.